Engineering geology is a multidisciplinary science which reaches namely into geology, civil engineering and environment protection. It is based on classical geology, which studies compositions of rocks, their age and mode of origin and combines this knowledge with studying of mechanical (technical) properties of soils (firmness, compressibility, penetrability etc.). The engineering-geological research is currently an essential part of preparation of projects of linear and areal buildings and family houses.
We offer in the area of engineering geology:
- engineering-geological researches for determining foundation conditions when founding both large and small buildings
- solution proposals for improving foundation conditions for realization of buildings
- geomonitoring and georadar measurement of buildings from the aspect of the stability of the area
- engineering-geological researches in land planning (prospecting of landslide areas etc.)
- engineering-geological researches for environmental usage (prospecting of suitable sites for realization of dumps etc.)
- geotechnical consultation activity
- geotechnical calculations and design of foundations
- laboratory tests of soils (see laboratory work)
Hydrogeology in its original form dealt primarily with determining the origin, occurrence and activity of water in rock environment. At present it moves more to the environmental area, where it solves chiefly problems connected with water contamination.
We provide in the area of hydrogeology:
- hydrogeological researches with the aim of analyzing geological and hydrogeological conditions of the interest area
- prospecting and realization of the sources of underground waters (wells for both public and individual water supply)
- hydrogeological expertises
- hydrogeological mapping
- expert opinion for issuing permission for water using and building permission
- monitoring of the quality and examination of underground and surface water contamination
- realization and evaluation of hydrodynamic tests (pumping and recharging tests)
- taking underground and surface water samples for laboratory analyses
The application of geophysical methods is today a part of complex researches in building industry, engineering geology, hydrogeology, archaeology and pyrotechnics.
We apply geophysical research widely in the processes of realization and designing of large dimension engineering structures (both ground and underground – highways, industrial complexes), but also with particular buildings (dwelling construction, shopping centres, sources of water, liquidation of old environmental burdens, exploration of the underground, monitoring of dumps etc.).
We provide designing services, realization, processing and interpretation for the following methods:
- vertical electric sounding (VES), electric profiling (EP), dipole electromagnetic profiling (DEMP) and multifrequency profiling (MFP), method of very long waves (VLW)
- georadar measurement
- electrical resistivity tomography (ERT)
- seismic reflex and refraction measurement (MRS)
- atom and proton magnetometry
- metal-detecting methods of research
We further provide consultation, counseling, lector and supervising activity, professional courses.
In last years, pyrotechnical research becomes an integral part of construction of large buildings. Finds of objects of the character of ammunition, namely form the World War II period, are still more numerous as the construction industry develops.
We perform pyrotechnical research in two different applications:
- On large buildings (industrial complexes, highway construction, road relocations etc.) We provide complex pyrotechnical research by surface metal detection and magnetometry, complemented with electromagnetic methods, in combination with verification and pyrotechnical operation (localizing by a metal detector, magnetically and by a test-pit). The research, carried out on the whole area and complemented by verifying of the obtained results, is multiply secured and eliminates the possibility of an undesirable find or ammunition or an explosion during the construction works
- Research of small areas, where the type or the approximate position of the ammunition is known. We usually perform such research by surface localization magnetically or by metal detection and by proving dug holes.
LABORATORY OF THE SOIL AND ROCK MECHANICS
Laboratory of the GEODRILL s.r.o. company is accredited by ČSN EN ISO/IEC 17025:2018. The aim of the soil mechanics laboratory is to provide high quality of the performed tests. The laboratory workers cooperate closely with the department of engineering geology, where the results are professionally evaluated and interpreted according to valid technical standards.
Measuring instruments and other equipment we use are regularly calibrated by accredited institutions.
- determination of water content acc. to ČSN EN ISO 17892-1
- determination of particle density acc. to ČSN EN ISO 17892-3
- determination of particle size distribution acc. to ČSN EN ISO 17892-4
- determination of Atterberg limits acc. to ČSN CEN ISO/TS 17892-12
- determination of density of fine grained soils acc. to ČSN CEN ISO 17892-2
- determination of edometric deformation modulus to ČSN EN ISO 17892-5
- swelling pressure acc. to ČSN EN ISO 17892-5
- direct shear test acc. to ČSN EN ISO 17892-10
- determination of swelling soils
- determination od collapsibility soils
- Proctor test – determination of compaction acc. to ČSN EN 13286-2
- California Load Ratio (CBR), Immediate Index of Resilience (IBI), and Linear Swelling acc. to ČSN EN 13286-47
- determination of grain aggregate acc. to ČSN EN 933-1
- determination of hardness of concrete and rocks stepping tester (Schmidt – typ N)
- consultation and counseling activities
- lectures and methodical courses
- annual lectures on geophysical methods for students VUT in Brno
- research and publication activity
- sponsorship of events “House of Nature” in the Moravian Karst
- scientific contribution to the international conference “Foundation Engineering Brno 2010 – interaction of geotechnical structures with enviroment”
- since 2010 we co-finance issuance of the newly estabilished sicentific magazine Interdisciplinaria Archeologica – Natural Sciences of Archeology. We also contribute by scientific papers to this journal
- execution of geophysical surveys of the wider surroundings of the castle Veveri in the context of the ongoing archaeological exhibition on the history of the castle (2011)
- Geodrill company received a grant in the Technology Agency Czech rep. “Study of the properties of diatomite clays and methods to improve their structure” (2012-2015)
- research paper in an international peer-reviewed journal Acta Geologica Slovaca published by the University Komenského in Bratislava (2013)
- Internship for students in the project ESF OP VpK „OKTAEDR – partnerství a sítě stavebnictví“ (2013)